Frequently Misunderstood Foundation Design Provisions
This web seminar addresses five misunderstood structural provisions in ASCE 7-10 related to foundation design. The following topics are discussed, including a presentation of frequently asked questions on the application of related code provisions:
- Load combinations for foundation design.
- Liquefaction risks and how to specifically address them.
- Basics of soil-structure interaction and how it relates to allowable bearing pressure and subgrade modulus.
- Challenges in design of mat foundations.
- Detailing of deep foundation elements for various seismic and site conditions.
|Description: Extra||DVD with PDF handout
Free standard shipping within U.S.
Instant Video with PDF handout
|Speakers||Ian McFarlane, P.E., S.E.|
Ian McFarlane, P.E., S.E. is a Principal at Magnusson Klemencic Associates (MKA), a 200-person, award-winning structural and civil engineering firm headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Ian leads MKA’s Foundations Technical Specialist Team and Concrete Specialist Team. Ian is active within the American Concrete Institute, serving as a Voting Member, ACI 318 – Foundations Subcommittee, and ACI 336 – Footings, Mats, and Drilled Piers. He was also co-author of NEHRP Seismic Design Technical Brief No. 7 – Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Mat Foundations.