Douglas W. Thornburg, AIA (bio)
This publication is co-branded by AIA and authored by Douglas W. Thornburg, AIA.
Published by ICC, the 2009 edition of this popular IBC® Handbook includes discussion on many of the fire- and life-safety provisions of the 2009 International Building Code®.
This Handbook provides detailed discussion on the nonstructural provisions in Chapters 1–15 and 24–34 of the 2009 International Building Code® (IBC®). The Handbook provides many application examples that work through more complex nonstructural issues using example problems and uses commentary style to explain the intent and purpose of code provisions. More than 400 full-color drawings and figures are included to clarify application.
Author and code expert Douglas W. Thornburg, AIA, discusses administrative, fire- and life-safety and inspection components, addressing in depth: means of egress, occupancy classification, building height and area, fire protection systems, fire and smoke protectives, mixed occupancies and type of construction requirements contained in the IBC®. The book also traces the historical background and rationale of code provisions.
A bonus CD contains the complete Handbook in PDF as well as ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003. This CD allows you to navigate easily through the documents, search text, copy images from figures and tables, and cut and paste small excerpts into correspondence or reports.
This essential resource is an important tool for building officials, architects, fire marshals, plans examiners, inspectors and others who use the International Building Code. No office should be without a copy of the IBC® Handbook — Fire and Life Safety Provisions. (632 pages)
Features of this publication include:
- Comprehensive content and in full color!
- More than 400 drawings, figures and examples help clarify the application of the fire- and life-safety requirements
- Follows format of the IBC to allow for quick and easy access to information
- Addresses nonstructural provisions found in 2009 IBC Chapters 1-15 and 24-Appendices
- Code provisions are examined in a manner to provide a better understanding of the provisions' intent and purpose
- Bonus CD includes the full text of the handbook and ICC A117.1-2003 in a PDF format
Purchase the combo package with the 2009 IBC® Handbook:Structural Provisions.